Friday, April 13, 2007

Mitchell or Webb?

I watched the first episode of the new series of Peep Show on Channel 4 last night. It was bloody great. Comedy gold, in fact.

However, the thing that stuck in my head (curse you marketing profession) wasn't the witty screenplay, or those internal monologues for which the show is famous.

No, no. The thing I couldn't stop thinking about was this:



Yep, that's right. Peep Show has turned into a half hour advert for Mac computers.

I don't know if the timing of the recent PC vs Mac campaign featuring Mitchell and Webb was pure coincidence or pure genius. Either way, it's been live for just long enough that when Peep Show came on last night my first thought was of PCs and Macs. More precisely, it was of Mitchell's character, Mark, as a metaphor for the PC, and Webb's character, Jez, as a metaphor for the Mac.

And there lies the problem. Neither Mark nor Jez delivers a particularly flattering association. In fact, it's Mark the nerdy cynic, not Jez the insouciant chump, that I find myself strangely endeared to.

So, that's Mark over Jez. Mitchell over Webb. PC over Mac. Oopsy daisy TBWA - that clever bit of casting no longer looks quite so clever.

3 comments:

Robert Henry Jackman said...

oh dear it's those dreadful adverts...

The best thing is to totally banish them from your mind - you'll enjoy Peep Show so much having done so.

I've just blogged a review of Peep Show series four on my blog - let me know what you think :)

http://kickingthedoordown.blogspot.com

Robert :)

Diginative said...

I checked out your review Robert. Spot on I think - the writing has indeed kept Peep Show fresh and brilliant.

I also found myself nodding furiously at the following:

"an hour before series four starts comes a rather dismal dismal offering from droll veterans Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse – a cruel reminder of the mortality of funny men"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.